Delta Force is known to be the most elite special operations unit in the United States military, and their work requires them to have some of the best gear and equipment possible. One of the most important tools in their arsenal is their knife. So what knife does Delta Force use? The answer might surprise you.
You might expect the top-of-the-line tactical knives to be the go-to choice for Delta Force, but the reality is that they prefer a much simpler design. The knife of choice for these skilled operators is the classic Old Hickory knife. This might seem like an unusual choice, but there’s a good reason why they opt for this particular model.
The Old Hickory knife is a traditional butcher knife that has long been a favorite of hunters, outdoors enthusiasts, and chefs alike. It boasts a sharp, sturdy blade that is perfect for a wide range of tasks, from carving up meat to hacking through brush in the wilderness. The Delta Force team values this knife for its reliability, versatility, and ease of use. Despite its simple design, the Old Hickory knife is a formidable weapon that has proven itself time and time again in the hands of these highly-trained soldiers.
History of Delta Force Knives
Delta Force, officially known as the 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta (1st SFOD-D), is an elite and secretive unit within the United States Army. It was established in 1977 and is tasked with carrying out missions such as hostage rescue, counterterrorism, and special reconnaissance.
One of the tools that Delta Force operators rely on is their knife. Throughout Delta Force’s history, they have used various types of knives that are lightweight, durable, and versatile. These knives not only aid them with their missions but also serve as a symbol of their elite status.
Types of Knives Used by Delta Force
- Combat Knife – The combat knife is a versatile cutting tool that can serve multiple purposes. It is known for its toughness, durability, and sharpness, making it ideal in critical situations. The most popular combat knife used by Delta force is the SOG Bowie.
- Utility Knife – Delta Force operators also use utility knives that can perform a wide range of tasks such as cutting ropes, opening crates, and other general-purpose chores. One popular utility knife used by Delta Force is the Ontario SP-6.
- Tactical Knife – Delta Force operators use tactical knives, which are designed for tactical purposes such as penetrating hard materials, cutting through straps, and breaking glass. The most popular tactical knife used is the Benchmade SOCP Dagger.
Significance of the Delta Force Knife
The Delta Force knife serves as a symbolic item that represents the service of its operators. It is a token of the unit’s elite status and the rigorous training that operators undergo to use it effectively. Many Delta Force members carry their knives with them at all times, and some are even given custom-made knives with their names engraved on the blade.
While the specifics of their knives may vary, the importance of their knives to Delta Force cannot be overstated. Their knives not only aid them in their missions but also serve as a reminder of their dedication to serving their country.
Delta Force Knife Specifications
|1095 Carbon Steel
|1095 Carbon Steel
|GFN (Glass Filled Nylon)
The Delta Force knives are designed and built to withstand the toughest of situations. They are made from high-grade materials to ensure durability and longevity, making them a reliable tool for their operators.
Characteristics and features of Delta Force knives
The Delta Force is one of the most elite counter-terrorism units in the world, and their knives are a reflection of their high standards and rigorous requirements. These knives are built to withstand the harshest conditions and most extreme circumstances, making them a crucial tool for Delta Force operatives in the field.
- Durability: Delta Force knives are made from top-quality materials and are designed to withstand high levels of stress and pressure. They are often constructed with a full-tang design, which means that the blade extends all the way through the handle for added strength and durability.
- Sharpness: The blades of Delta Force knives are incredibly sharp and are designed to maintain their sharpness even after extensive use. They are typically made from high-carbon stainless steel or other high-quality metals that can hold an edge well.
- Functionality: Delta Force knives are designed to be versatile and functional, with a range of features that make them suitable for a variety of tasks. They often feature serrated edges for cutting through tough materials, as well as a range of other features that make them useful in a range of different situations.
In addition to these standard features, Delta Force knives may also include additional features that are specific to their intended use. For example, some knives may include a tanto point, which is a blade shape that is ideal for piercing through tough materials like body armor. Other knives may include a serrated edge near the handle, which allows for easier rope-cutting or sawing tasks.
To give you an idea of the range of knives used by Delta Force operatives, here is a table that lists some of the most popular and commonly-used models:
|154CM stainless steel
|AUS-8 stainless steel
|Sandvik 14C28N stainless steel
Each of these knives has its own unique set of features and benefits, and the specific model used by any given Delta Force operative may depend on their individual preferences and requirements.
Comparison of Delta Force knives with other tactical knives
When it comes to tactical knives, there are a plethora of options available on the market. However, not all tactical knives are created equal. Delta Force knives are known for their high-quality and exceptional performance. Let’s compare Delta Force knives with other tactical knives and see how they stack up.
Durability and Strength
- Delta Force knives are made with high-quality materials, such as stainless steel and titanium, which make them incredibly durable and resistant to wear and tear.
- Other tactical knives may use lower-quality materials, which can result in decreased durability and strength over time.
- Delta Force knives are also designed with a full tang construction, which means that the blade runs the full length of the handle, providing additional strength and stability.
Design and Functionality
Delta Force knives are designed with a focus on functionality, making them ideal for military and law enforcement operations. The blade is typically a tanto-style blade, which provides a strong tip for piercing and penetration. The handle is also designed with a secure grip to ensure that the knife does not slip out of the user’s hand.
Other tactical knives may have a more decorative design, with features such as serrations or a drop point blade. While these features may look nice, they can also detract from the knife’s overall functionality.
The type of blade used in a tactical knife can greatly impact its performance. Delta Force knives are typically designed with a straight-edge blade, which is perfect for slicing and cutting. They may also have serrations near the handle for sawing through tougher materials.
|Great for slicing and cutting
|Good for sawing through tough materials
|Provides the best of both worlds
Other tactical knives may use different types of blades, such as a drop point or clip point blade. While these blades may be effective for certain tasks, they may not be as versatile as a straight-edge blade.
In conclusion, Delta Force knives are a top-of-the-line option when it comes to tactical knives. They are designed with durability, functionality, and versatility in mind, making them a reliable choice for military and law enforcement operations. While other tactical knives may have different designs or blade types, Delta Force knives stand out for their exceptional performance.
Types of blades used in Delta Force knives
Delta Force knives are widely known for their high-quality and durability. The types of blades used in Delta Force knives vary depending on the intended use and the preferences of the individual operator. Below are some of the types of blades that are commonly found in Delta Force knives:
- Straight-edge blade: This type of blade is the most common among Delta Force knives. It is ideal for cutting through materials such as rope, fabric, and leather. The straight-edge blade is also great for slicing and chopping vegetables, fruits, and meats.
- Serrated-blade: This type of blade is commonly used for sawing through tougher materials such as wood, plastic, and bone. The serrated blade is also ideal for cutting through tough meats and bread. It is important to note that the serrated blade requires more maintenance than the straight-edge blade.
- The Tanto blade is a popular choice among Delta Force operators. It is a durable and sturdy blade that is perfect for piercing through tough materials due to its pointed shape.
Another popular option among Delta Force knives is the folding blade. A folding blade is a compact and lightweight option that is easy to carry around. This type of blade is popular among Delta Force operators who need a reliable, convenient, and easy-to-use tool that is easy to conceal. The folding blade comes in different shapes and sizes, including straight-edge, serrated, and Tanto blades.
One particular Delta Force knife that stands out is the SOG Bowie. This knife features a 7.5-inch straight-edge blade that is perfect for cutting through a variety of materials. The SOG Bowie is also perfect for tactical situations and outdoor activities as it features a durable construction with a comfortable, non-slip grip.
Blade Type Pros Cons Straight-edge blade Easy to sharpen, ideal for slicing and chopping Not ideal for sawing through tough materials Serrated blade Great for sawing through tough materials, ideal for cutting bread and tough meats Requires more maintenance than the straight-edge blade Tanto blade Durable and sturdy, perfect for piercing through tough materials Not ideal for slicing and chopping
Delta Force knives are built to last and are designed to meet the needs of the individual operator. Whether you need a straight-edge blade, serrated blade, or Tanto blade, there is a Delta Force knife that is perfect for you.
Handle materials used in Delta Force knives
Delta Force knives are created to withstand tough conditions and handle various tasks in the field. With their reputation as one of the top-tier special forces units in the world, Delta Force takes their equipment seriously, including their knives. One of the critical components of a Delta Force knife is its handle, which needs to be durable, non-slip, and comfortable to hold.
The handle materials used in Delta Force knives can vary, depending on the manufacturer and the knife’s intended use. However, some common options include:
- G-10: A fiberglass-based laminate material that is lightweight, durable, and non-slip. It’s water-resistant and can withstand extreme temperatures, making it ideal for tactical knives.
- Carbon fiber: A high-strength material that is also lightweight. It provides excellent grip and is resistant to moisture and abrasion.
- Micarta: A composite material made of layers of linen, paper, or other fabrics that are impregnated with resin. It’s lightweight, durable, and provides a solid grip, even when wet.
Some Delta Force knives may also use more traditional handle materials, such as wood or leather, but these are becoming less common due to their relative lack of durability and slip-resistance in adverse conditions.
When selecting a Delta Force knife, it’s essential to consider the handle materials carefully. The right handle can make all the difference in a knife’s performance, ease of use, and durability in the field.
Handle Material Pros Cons G-10 Lightweight, durable, non-slip Can feel too slick in certain conditions Carbon fiber Very strong, non-slip, moisture-resistant Expensive Micarta Lightweight, durable, provides solid grip even when wet Can be more expensive than other materials
Overall, Delta Force knives use high-quality, durable handle materials that can withstand extreme conditions and provide a solid grip. When purchasing a Delta Force knife, users should consider the intended use and select a handle material that will provide the best combination of performance and comfort.
Blade coatings and finishes of Delta Force knives
When it comes to Delta Force knives, the blade coatings and finishes play an essential role in determining the performance and durability of the knife. The type of coating or finish used on the blade can affect its ability to resist rust and corrosion, reduce glare, and enhance its overall appearance.
Here are some of the common blade coatings and finishes used in Delta Force knives:
- Black Oxide: This is a chemical coating that gives a blackened finish to the blade. It provides excellent corrosion resistance and gives the knife a sleek, tactical look.
- Titanium Nitride (TiNi): This coating is known for its exceptional hardness and durability. It enhances the blade’s resistance to wear and tear, scratches, and oxidation.
- Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC): This coating is a type of amorphous carbon with exceptional hardness and durability. It provides a black, non-glare finish to the blade and enhances its resistance to wear, corrosion, and scratches.
Aside from coatings, Delta Force knives also utilize different types of finishes to enhance the blade’s appearance and performance. These finishes include:
- Satin: This is a low-luster finish that provides a matte appearance to the blade. It’s versatile and suitable for everyday carry knives.
- Stone Wash: This finish creates a rugged, textured look on the blade. It hides scratches and wear well and adds to the knife’s overall toughness.
- Mirror Polish: This finish achieves an ultra-smooth, high-gloss surface on the blade. It’s not suitable for tactical knives but adds to the beauty and elegance of Delta Force knives.
To further showcase the range of blade coatings and finishes used in Delta Force knives, the following table summarizes the options available:
Coating/Finish Features Best For Black Oxide Tactical, corrosion-resistant, sleek look Tactical and survival knives Titanium Nitride (TiNi) Durable, scratch-resistant, low friction Tactical and everyday carry knives Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC) Hard, wear-resistant, non-reflective Tactical and outdoor knives Satin Matte, low-luster, versatile finish Everyday carry and outdoor knives Stone Wash Rugged, textured, good scratch hide Survival and outdoor knives Mirror Polish Ultra-smooth, high-gloss surface Collection and display knives
Overall, Delta Force knives offer a wide range of blade coatings and finishes to cater to the different needs and preferences of knife users. Whether you’re looking for a tactical knife with a black oxide finish or an elegant collection knife with a mirror polish, there’s a Delta Force knife that fits the bill.
Sheath options for Delta Force knives
When it comes to carrying a Delta Force knife, having a reliable and secure sheath is crucial. The right sheath can protect your blade from damage, make it easily accessible in a moment’s notice, and ensure that it doesn’t accidentally injure anyone. Here are some of the most common sheath options for Delta Force knives:
- Belt Sheaths: These sheaths are attached to your belt and are among the most popular choices for Delta Force knives. They offer quick access and are ideal for outdoor activities such as hiking and camping where your knife is an essential tool.
- MOLLE Sheaths: MOLLE sheaths are designed to be attached to MOLLE-compatible gear such as backpacks, vests, and belts. They offer a more secure attachment system than belt sheaths and are easier to attach and detach quickly.
- Neck Sheaths: If you want your Delta Force knife to be even more accessible, a neck sheath might be your best option. It’s lightweight, easy to reach, and can be tucked underneath your shirt for concealed carry.
When selecting a sheath for your Delta Force knife, you should consider the material, retention system, and attachment method.
Here is a table that summarizes some of the most popular sheath options for Delta Force knives:
Sheath Type Material Retention System Attachment Method Belt Sheath Leather, Kydex Snaps, Velcro, or Buckle Vertical or horizontal carry MOLLE Sheath Nylon, Kydex Buckle or Velcro MOLLE-compatible gear Neck Sheath Leather, Kydex, Nylon Paracord, Snap, or Buckle Around neck
Ultimately, your choice of sheath will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Take the time to consider your activities and how you’ll be carrying your Delta Force knife before selecting a sheath. With the right sheath, you can be confident that your knife is always at the ready when you need it.
Tactical situations requiring Delta Force knives
When it comes to tactical missions, Delta Force operators need a knife that can withstand extreme conditions and perform a wide range of tasks. Here are some common situations that require Delta Force knives:
- Combat: In close-quarters combat situations, Delta Force operators need a knife that can quickly dispatch enemies if they run out of ammunition or if their primary weapon jams. A knife can also be used to silently eliminate sentries or take down threats in a non-lethal manner.
- Survival: During extended operations in harsh environments, Delta Force operators may need a knife to cut through vegetation, build shelter, start fires, and prepare food. A durable knife with a sharp blade is essential for these tasks.
- Rescue: In emergency situations, Delta Force operators may need to cut through debris or free someone who is trapped. A knife can also be used to cut ropes or straps that are restraining a person or animal.
Delta Force knives are designed to meet the demands of these situations and more. They are made from high-quality materials, such as carbon steel or titanium, and have a variety of features that make them useful in a wide range of situations. Some common features of Delta Force knives include:
- A straight or serrated blade that can be used for cutting, slicing, and sawing
- A full tang design that provides strength and stability
- An ergonomic handle that is easy to grip and won’t slip in wet or sweaty conditions
- A protective sheath that keeps the blade safe when not in use
Here is an overview of some of the knives that Delta Force operators often use:
Knife Features Uses Gerber StrongArm Full tang construction, diamond-texture rubber grip, MOLLE-compatible sheath Combat, survival, rescue Kabar USMC Fighting Knife 1095 Cro-Van steel blade, leather handle, USMC stamp Combat Benchmade Infidel Double-edged blade, aluminum handle, automatic open and close Combat Cold Steel Recon Tanto Japanese AUS-8A steel blade, Kray-Ex handle, Secure-Ex sheath Combat, survival, rescue
Overall, Delta Force knives are an essential tool for operators who need to be prepared for any situation. Whether they are conducting a raid, surviving in the wilderness, or rescuing a civilian, a reliable knife that can perform a wide range of tasks is an essential part of their equipment.
Maintenance and Care of Delta Force Knives
Delta Force knives are high-quality tools that can last a lifetime if maintained properly. These knives are designed with precision, and they perform exceptionally well under tough conditions. Here are some tips on how to maintain and care for your Delta Force knife.
- Keep the blade clean and dry: After every use, make sure to clean the blade with a soft cloth or a paper towel. If the blade is dirty or has spots, use a mild detergent and water to clean it. Do not use steel wool or abrasive materials as they can scratch the blade’s surface.
- Store the knife properly: Always store your Delta Force knife in a dry and secure place. The sheath that comes with your knife is an excellent storage option. Make sure to dry the sheath before putting the knife back in it.
- Sharpen the blade when needed: Delta Force knives are designed to hold their edge well, but they will eventually become dull after extended use. When this happens, use a sharpening stone or a honing rod to sharpen the blade. Only sharpen the blade when necessary as excessive sharpening can shorten the life of the blade.
Aside from the tips mentioned above, it’s essential to know what to avoid when taking care of your Delta Force Knife:
- Avoid using the blade as a screwdriver or a pry bar: Doing so can cause damage to the blade, and it can be dangerous for the user.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals to clean the blade: Chemicals like acetone, bleach, and ammonia can react with the blade’s coating and cause damage or discoloration.
- Avoid exposing the knife to extreme heat or cold: Although Delta Force knives are designed to withstand harsh conditions, extreme heat or cold can cause the blade to expand or contract, which can damage it.
Apart from proper maintenance and care, it’s crucial to understand the anatomy of Delta Force knives to make their maintenance more manageable. Here’s a table that shows the different parts of a Delta Force knife:
Part Description Blade The sharp edge of the knife used for cutting. Handle The part of the knife that the user holds onto, usually made of a sturdy material like wood, plastic, or metal. Tang The extension of the blade that extends into the handle, improving the knife’s stability and balance. Sheath A protective covering for the knife, usually made of leather, nylon, or plastic, used for storing and transporting the knife.
Understanding the anatomy of the Delta Force knife can help you identify which part needs attention during maintenance. By adhering to these tips and understanding the knife’s anatomy, you can ensure that your Delta Force knife will serve you well, every time you need it.
Availability and Pricing of Delta Force Knives
Delta Force, a United States Army special operations unit, is known for using high-quality and reliable knives in their missions. While the exact models of knives used by Delta Force remain confidential, there are several knives available in the market that are similar in quality and performance.
If you’re looking for a Delta Force knife, the availability and pricing will depend on the brand and model you choose. Here are some options:
- Gerber StrongArm: This knife is designed for heavy-duty use and is made with high-carbon stainless steel. It features a diamond-texture rubber handle for a secure grip. The Gerber StrongArm is priced at around $70.
- Benchmade SOCP Dagger: Designed for tactical use, the SOCP Dagger has a unique shape that allows for quick deployment and penetration. It features a skeletonized handle and a serrated edge at the base for added versatility. The Benchmade SOCP Dagger is priced at around $120.
- Emerson Commander: This knife is designed for combat and is made with 154CM steel, which is known for its toughness and edge retention. The Emerson Commander also features Emerson’s patented wave opening system, which allows for quick deployment. The Emerson Commander is priced at around $250.
It’s important to note that the prices of Delta Force knives can vary widely depending on the brand, model, and features. If you’re looking for a Delta Force knife for personal use, it’s important to do your research and choose a knife that fits your needs and budget.
Additionally, it’s important to consider the quality of the knife and its durability. A high-quality knife may be more expensive upfront, but it will last longer and perform better than a lower-quality knife.
Brand Model Price (approx.) Gerber StrongArm $70 Benchmade SOCP Dagger $120 Emerson Commander $250
Overall, Delta Force knives are a popular choice for military and law enforcement professionals as well as knife enthusiasts. While the exact models used by Delta Force are not available for purchase, there are several similar options available on the market at varying price points.
FAQs: What Knife Does Delta Force Use?
1. What type of knife is preferred by Delta Force?
Delta Force mostly uses fixed-blade tactical knives that are made of high-quality and durable material.
2. What is the blade length of the knife used by Delta Force?
It varies depending on the situation and the mission objective, but most knives used by Delta Force have a blade length between 4 and 7 inches.
3. What kind of steel is preferred for Delta Force knives?
Delta Force knives are made of high-carbon stainless steel and titanium alloy that provide better toughness, corrosion resistance and edge-retention properties for hard use.
4. Are the knives used by Delta Force custom-made or commercially available?
Most knives used by Delta Force are custom-made by reputable knife makers that follow the specific requirements and standards of the unit, but some knives are commercially available as well.
5. What is the grip material of Delta Force knives?
Delta Force knives have different grip materials depending on the personal preference and the mission’s requirements. Common grip materials are G-10, Micarta, or Kraton.
6. How do Delta Force soldiers carry their knives?
Delta Force soldiers use a variety of knife-carrying systems such as a sheath, belt holster, or tactical vest integration. The knife-carrying system depends on the individual’s preference and the mission context.
7. Can civilians buy the same knives used by Delta Force?
Some knives used by Delta Force are commercially available but some are not. Moreover, it is worth noting that knives used by Delta Force are specifically designed for military use and not intended for everyday use.
Thanks for taking the time to read this article on what knife does Delta Force use. While some specifics are not publicly available, research shows that Delta Force uses high-quality, durable knives with different features specifically designed for military use. If you found this information useful, be sure to check out our other articles on military gear and tactics. Thanks again, and we hope to see you back soon!